Foreign currencies & rates
There are two ways you can load and spend your travel money:
Buy foreign exchange at a locked-in rate before you travel
Choose from 10 foreign currencies⁴ and lock in the rate to avoid currency fluctuations³. Be confident knowing what you have to spend while you're away.
Load Australian dollars and spend around the world
If you’re travelling to a destination where we don’t offer a locked-in rate – such as Indonesia, China or South Africa, you can load and spend Australian dollars⁴. Our daily rate for the currency you’re spending in will apply⁵. Use our Currency Conversion Tool to check the exchange rate daily.
Tips for buying foreign money
Buy currency in advance
When you load and lock in the exchange rate of your choice of 10 foreign currencies before you travel⁴, you’ll always know exactly how much money you’re spending – even when the exchange rates fluctuate³. This helps you better manage your money when overseas
Load for free
There’s no charge to load your foreign currency onto your Travel Money Card when you use BPAY or Bank Transfer.
See how it works. It’s easy.
- Get your card
Use Travel Money
- Use your card at ATMs or anywhere Mastercard is accepted2
- Transfer money between currencies
- Cash out leftover funds to your Australian bank account
- Transfer funds to other Qantas Travel Money cardholders
Manage your account
- Lock and unlock your card
- View your card PIN
- Set your default currency
Learn more about buying foreign currency
The 10 foreign currencies that you can buy are: United States Dollar, Great British Pound, Euro, Thai Baht, New Zealand Dollar, Singapore Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Japanese Yen, Emirati Dirham
You can load available currencies all at once or one at a time, depending on the nature of your trip. When you do, you’ll lock in the exchange rate for each of them³, meaning you’ll always know how much you’re spending.
If you’re travelling to a destination where we don’t offer a locked in rate – such as Indonesia, China or South Africa - you can load Australian dollars and spend in the local currency. Our daily exchange rate for the currency you’re spending in will apply⁵.
You can’t use your credit card to buy and load foreign currency onto your Qantas Travel Money card. If you’d like to load foreign currency, here’s how to do it:
- Instant load – Receive funds instantly using a Mastercard or Visa debit card. A fee of 0.5% applies⁵.
- Bank transfer – Funds take 1 business day to load* and no fees apply to use this transfer method⁵.
- BPAY – Funds take 2-3 business days to load* and no fees apply to use this transfer method⁵.
*Load times may vary between financial institutions including when your transfer is made after 2pm AEST/AEDT, outside business hours, immediately prior to, or on a weekend or public holiday
If you have leftover foreign currency on your card, you can:
- Move your money between any of the 11 currencies available to buy with your Qantas Travel Money card⁴, including transferring back to AUD to keep for use on another trip or in Australia⁶
- Cash-out your currency and have it transferred into Australian bank account
- Transfer the funds instantly to another Qantas Frequent Flyer who has an activated Qantas Travel Money card
Connect your accounts from other financial institutions and see them all in one place.
Earn Qantas Points
Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every AU$1 spent in foreign currency on eligible purchases while you are overseas.1
View spend by category to analyse expenditure.
Link any Mastercard and activate offers to receive bonus Qantas Points at your favourite stores.